Sunday, May 11, 2014

Happy Mother's Day to ALL the "real" Moms!!

Happy Mother's Day.  This is a day that Moms around the country are to be celebrated.  Doesn't matter if you are rich, poor, expecting, brand new, biological, adoptive, inherited or honorary.  We are all to be celebrated!

My kids are abundantly blessed.  They have two moms.  A "natural" one and an inherited one.  And I have to admit I am pretty blessed as well to share my role as mom with such wonderful women.

I share my precious biological children with a true gift.  Her name is Denise.  She married my previous husband a few years ago.  And she instantly became a "real" mom to three crazy and very different kids.  The kids were never afraid to love Denise.  And she constantly shows them love.  From the first time I met her, at karaoke many years ago, I knew she was perfect for Chris.  And in turn she is perfect for the three kids too. I am forever thankful for her friendship and unconditional love. I am thrilled to share the mom role with such a genuine person.  And share it equally. I know that she will always be on the same level as me when it come to our kids.  We will walk down the isle as mom's on their wedding days.  We will dance and rejoice as our girls give birth.  I know this because the kids have and will always consider her happiness. Sometime they consider it more. And that is exactly how I would want it.

I am not just a mom but an inherited mom as well aka step-mom.  I have learned a lot during my journey as a step-parent.  There were many moments that I felt rejected, loved, excluded, overjoyed, cut off, liked, reluctant, and embraced. Yes, a roller coaster of emotions.  And what I can say is I am truly a blessed "real" mom.  I am thankful that my husband's previous wife, Colleen, has accepted me for the crazy person I am.  And that, even though it has been a bumpy road, I can say now, with joy in my heart, that I am honored to be a co-mom to my beautiful inherited daughters. And I am abundantly blessed to be a co-grandma with Colleen.

I have learned to accept what a lot of women would have difficulty accepting.  Jealousy could have reared it's ugly head and made our path a very ugly one to travel.  But God had bigger and better plans.  He commands me to love.  Even if it seems unnatural.  Don't get me wrong.  I loved Denise from the instant we were introduced. And I had that same agape for Colleen.   And that is only because God taught me about grace.  But to most people my relationship with Denise and Colleen is strange.  And that is okay by me.  After all I believe I am one of the strangest.  So it is only fitting. 

 My hearts desire has always been to show God's amazing grace and ever present love.  I thought that one day I would wind up with the perfect bunch.  But instead I am a part of the most imperfect perfect bunch that teaches me perfect love every day.

So, Happy Mother's Day to ALL the "real" Moms!!


Proverbs 22:6

Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment