Saturday, October 25, 2014

When You look at my picture who's face do you see.......


I open my Facebook page or Instagram and I see a wave of "selfies" An ocean full of pictures of all types of faces. So many of these "selfies" capture the true identity of the individual in the snap shot. Some bring a smile to my face and make me laugh.  Occasionally I see sadness, anger, loneliness and hurt in the eyes of the one taking the "selfie".   It is amazing how much a picture can say about a person.

So, today I grabbed my phone and captured my very own "selfie".  I looked deep into the reflection.  What will others see when they look at this picture?  Will they count every wrinkle on my forehead and seek every imperfection?  And what about me?  What do I see in my own reflection?  Is it only my face that I see?   Or is there another reflection sharing this photo opportunity with me?


These past few days I have spent with my precious granddaughter, Grace.  Her parents were at the hospital due to the arrival of baby number two.  So, Grace and I had lots of time together.  She loves to look at pictures.  And she loves to see pictures of herself.  This is exactly how God wants us to react to our own reflection.  After all we were created in His image. Each evening as I put her to bed I prayed that she'd never stop seeing the beauty that God has blessed her with. And I asked God to direct me so that I would be a good and positive influence in her life and each of my grands to follow.

Thursday night, while laying in bed, I began thinking about what legacy I would one day leave my family.  What will they see when looking at pictures of my face?  What story will my reflection tell them about who Grandma Kathleen was to them?  For a few hours I closed my eyes and thought about, not only my grands, but my children.  How will they remember me?  Will they only remember the rough patches we went through.  Or will they smile as they reflect on the triumphs?  Will they think of me as a godly woman?  Or will they remember me as something much different? My only hope is that they will remember me as someone who loved the Lord.  And that when they see my "selfie" they also see the reflection of the One who created me in His image.

As I am sitting here blogging away and reflecting on my reflection.  I realize, that if I truly believe and want others to believe that we are created in His perfect image, my life needs to be the reflection or proof of His love.  My words and my actions must have validity.  Because if my character acts one way but speaks differently I will leave a poorly developed image behind.  You see, God is love. My life is to be a reflection of that great love.  And as I define myself as a christian and have received Christ as Lord, I want to be rooted, deeply rooted and straightened daily in my faith.

 His sacrifice was the ultimate outpouring of love.  So to love is to sacrifice. Over the years there have been many times that I have sacrificed my wants for the wants and needs of others.  There are times that I am doing it out of love.  And other times, to be honest, I am doing out of obedience.   And when I am doing it out of obedience I grumble a lot. I may even delay when it's time to obey.  You might find me walking or even running away. I am sure my "selfie", in those moments, isn't all that attractive. And when I think back on those moments I am not so proud.  How could I snap a picture of those moments and glorify God?  God, who willingly and lovingly sacrificed for me,desires me to have a willing heart. I really and truly do want to be built up in Him.  I want have this abounding joy every time I do for others.  And I want to genuinely be a reflection of His love and show His grace   I pray that my love will one day look like Him.  And that when I am gone it will be love that is the legacy I left behind.  And that my children's children's children are able to clearly see the image of  God's love in the "selfie" I took today.





 


No comments:

Post a Comment