Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Love...... I learned it by watching you

Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.

Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts. And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. ~Colossians 3:12-17

The past few weeks have been incredibly difficult to say the least. I have spent many nights reflecting on how my Dad and Mom loved. They both have a gift. As the weeks have gone by, I have encountered more and more people who were touched by their love. 

My Mom and Dad together have taught me the art of AMORE love. I praise God for giving me parents that were not perfect. But through their imperfections they developed their perfect love for each other. I praise God for allowing them to triumph over many tribulations in their journey together as husband and wife. I watched as each of them took turns forgiving each other for being human. And I smile when I think of how they loved each other even when they got on each others nerves. They were best friends! 1 Peter 4:8 "Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers a multitude of sins."

The world is different for me. I can't even imagine how different it is for my beautiful Mom. To have your best friend at your side 24/7 one day. And then wake up the next day and he is no longer there. I pray that God comfort her when she is in dark places. And that He places a song in her heart. In a few days, she will be celebrating her wedding anniversary. It will be the first without Dad by her side. I am not sure what to expect. What is my place? How do I help to get her through this day? Could we all just sleep through it? I know that we will triumph through this tribulation. We had two really impeccable teachers.

There is hope. I know that my Dad's love will live forever in my heart. And in the hearts of the many people who were touch by this dynamic duo. Ecclesiastes 4: 9 "Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up" I don't think my Dad would have been the man that he was without my Mom by his side. And I don't think my Mom would have learned to be the woman she is without my Dad at her side. I see my Mom has a mission in life. She has the gift of making people feel like they are family. And I know that she will continue to feel the warmth of my Dad's love for her in her heart. And wherever she goes in this next phase of her adventure, God will give her the strength she needs. She is an amazing woman. And I am blessed to call her Mom. I look forward to learning more and more from her with each new day. Love.......I learned it by watching the godly example of this wonderful duo.

Psalm 118:
Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever. Let Israel say: “His love endures forever.” Let the house of Aaron say: “His love endures forever.” Let those who fear the LORD say:“His love endures forever.” In my anguish I cried to the LORD, and he answered by setting me free. The LORD is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me? The LORD is with me; he is my helper. I will look in triumph on my enemies. It is better to take refuge in the LORD than to trust in man. It is better to take refuge in the LORD than to trust in princes. All the nations surrounded me, but in the name of the LORD I cut them off. They surrounded me on every side, but in the name of the LORD I cut them off.  They swarmed around me like bees, but they died out as quickly as burning thorns;in the name of the LORD I cut them off.  I was pushed back and about to fall, but the LORD helped me. The LORD is my strength and my song;he has become my salvation.  Shouts of joy and victory resound in the tents of the righteous: “The LORD’s right hand has done mighty things!  The LORD’s right hand is lifted high; the LORD’s right hand has done mighty things!”  I will not die but live,and will proclaim what the LORD has done.  The LORD has chastened me severely, but he has not given me over to death.  Open for me the gates of righteousness;I will enter and give thanks to the LORD.  This is the gate of the LORD through which the righteous may enter.  I will give you thanks, for you answered me; you have become my salvation.  The stone the builders rejected has become the capstone; the LORD has done this, and it is marvelous in our eyes.  This is the day the LORD has made;let us rejoice and be glad in it.  O LORD, save us; O LORD, grant us success.  Blessed is he who comes in the name of the LORD. From the house of the LORD we bless you.  The LORD is God, and he has made his light shine upon us.With boughs in hand, join in the festal procession up to the horns of the altar.  You are my God, and I will give you thanks; you are my God, and I will exalt you.  Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever."

No comments:

Post a Comment