Saturday, January 22, 2011

One Month Later...........He will wipe every tear from their eyes.....

So I am still sitting in the palm of God's hand. I am reflecting on the past month. Life is so different. 31 days ago my Dad went into the hospital with what I was hoping to be an infection. And now my earthly Dad is sitting in the presence of our Heavenly Father. I miss his voice, smile, and his warm embrace.

God is faithful. And His plan is so very different from our plan. And I am comforted with the reality that it is by His grace and his grace alone that I am able to get through each second of the day. 1Corinthians 15:10. "But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace to me was not without effect."

We spent the entire day at the Abington Hospital on December 30th. The surgery took 7 hours and was a success. Dr. Nussbaum came out and told us that Daddy did better than expected. They removed most of the organs from the left quadrant. And believed that he would be cancer free. Dr. Nussbaum said that we had a long road ahead of us. But he was confident that Daddy would be going home in 2 weeks. We were all thrilled and Dr Nussbaum suggested that we all go home , rest and come back in the morning.

The following morning we headed back to the hospital. I stopped at the nurses station and asked for them to stamp my parking pass so I could purchase a 2 week pass. I told the nurse that we had a miracle happen. My heart was excited. I was bracing myself for what I was about to see. And headed toward Dad's new residence for the next two weeks. And he looked amazing. A true miracle! God blessed us with another day! Our hopes were high. He couldn't speak to us because there was a tube in his mouth. So I ran and got a pad a paper and a marker. His first question......"Who won the game?" "We did!!" we exclaimed. We hung around for a little while. It was beautiful to see him smile. A gift actually. He signed I love you all! He was getting tired so I said I was going to leave. He held my hand tight. And I waited for him to fall asleep and kissed him on the head and went home. This was the last time I would see my dad awake.

I got home took a quick nap and planned to go to the hospital and bring in the New Year with my Mom and Dad. Dropped Christian off at his friends for a New Year's Eve celebration. Called my sister Maria to see if they needed me to pick up food or coffee. Stopped at Starbucks grabbed a large coffee. And headed back to the hospital.

As I drove toward Abington, God put on my heart to be still and be quiet. So I turned down radio and had quiet time with the Lord. I was getting closer to the hospital and I had these words on my heart, "I was there for his first breath and you need to know that I will be there with him at his last breath." I stopped being still and smiled. I began praising God for giving me my Dad for another day. I was joyful and singing about how I was going to have my Dad for another few months or even years!

I arrived at the Hospital. Headed to the room. And as I got off the elevator I saw my Mom and my Sister Maria. Maria told me to sit down. My Mom began to tell me that when the nurses went to turn my Dad, his heart rate bottomed out. What? How can this be? I started to pace. Christina and Christopher had started to head back to Virginia to celebrate their christmas with the girls. Mom had to call them and tell them to turn around. My Nephew, George, stood up at gave me a "tea pot" hug. And we waited for word. The doctor came out and said they were able to get his heart to start beating on its own. But things were not looking good. I called Greg, Kathleen Ann, Alyssa, and my Aunt Jane. Sent a message for everyone to pray, pray, pray. Greg called Sarah and Duane. And he and Kath ran to get Christian. Regis called Christian and kept me from going out of my mind. And Mom, Maria and George contacted everyone else to get them to come back to the hospital. As we waited for the rest of the family, we were called into the "conference room". Thomas, Grace, George, Mom, Maria, Alyssa, Regis, Dale, myself and the Doctor (Maria asked the clergy man to please get out...he was adding stress) we all sat crying and holding hands listening to what the doctor had to say. I felt my heart break. I was confused. We all were confused. Everyone arrived and emotions were high. I paced the floors going from person to person making sure they were "okay" if you could be okay in a situation like this. We went back to the room and spent Daddy's last hours here on earth together as a family. Mom decided that it was time to turn all the machines off. They removed the tubes from his mouth. And we gathered around him and sang songs of praise and a few family favorites to send him off (Grandma's feather bed....Christina lol). Aunt Jane and Aunt MaryEllen and Mom sang a few Irish tunes. But the best was ...."soon and very soon he is going to see the King......" And it was quick. Each of us took turns whispering in his ear. Our Hero went home to be with the Lord on December 31st 2010 at 10pm. You could feel the presence of the Holy Spirit in the room as he took his final breath on earth. We laid hands on him. Kissed him goodbye. I couldn't leave him. Not yet, I wasn't ready to let him go. I needed to touch him, hold his hand and really soak it all in. Maria and I for a split second lost our minds. We were going to steal his socks. Yes we thought about it. But Maria, had the voice of reason and suggested that we let him keep them. I waited in the room until his flesh turned yellow. Took a deep breath and left the room.

Revelation 21:4"He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away."

We left the hospital and went to a restaurant across the street. And celebrated Joseph Marion Mallon's arrival into the kingdom of heaven. The last brick was laid. Hope you enjoyed that filet mignon and the grand feast that was prepared for you Dad!

Isaiah 25: 1-9
O LORD, you are my God, I will extol you and praise your name; For you have fulfilled your wonderful plans of old, faithful and true. For you have made the city a heap, the fortified city a ruin; The castle of the insolent is a city no more, nor ever to be rebuilt. Therefore a strong people will honor you, fierce nations will fear you. For you are a refuge to the poor, a refuge to the needy in distress; Shelter from the rain, shade from the heat. As with the cold rain, as with the desert heat, even so you quell the uproar of the wanton. On this mountain the LORD of hosts will provide for all peoples A feast of rich food and choice wines, juicy, rich food and pure, choice wines. On this mountain he will destroy the veil that veils all peoples, The web that is woven over all nations; he will destroy death forever. The Lord GOD will wipe away the tears from all faces; The reproach of his people he will remove from the whole earth; for the LORD has spoken. On that day it will be said: "Behold our God, to whom we looked to save us! This is the LORD for whom we looked; let us rejoice and be glad that he has saved us!"

I am in the vapor. "Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor, that appears for a little time, and then vanish away". James 4:14 I miss my Dad. But I know that one day we will be reunited.


Soon and very soon

We are going to see the King
Soon and very soon
We are going to see the King
Soon and very soon
We are going to see the King
Hallelujah, hallelujah,
We're going to see the king

No more cryin there,
We are going to see the King
No more cryin there,
We are going to see the King
No more cryin there,
We are going to see the King
Hallelujah, hallelujah,
We're going to see the King

Should there be any rivers we must cross
Should there be any mountains we must climb
God will supplt all the strength that we need
Give us strength till we reach the other side.

We have come from every nation, God has already signed our name. Jesus took his blood and he washed my sins.. he washed them all away. Yet there are those of us who have laid down our lives but we all shall meet again on the other side... soon and very soon.

Hallelujah
Halleljuah
We're going to see the King!


No comments:

Post a Comment