Saturday, August 25, 2012

Covered in His Dust.

What would Jesus do?  Could I for one solid year commit to asking myself this question every time I was about to venture into a conversation, an uncomfortable situation or just another basic moment of my very own shallow life? 

As I sit here writing this blog there are so many awful things happening in the world around me. Mass shootings, political slander, and children growing up without the understanding of what it is to have respect for others and for self. I live in a world of chaos and destruction. I have spent the past few years of my life full of some really big "woe is me" moments as well.  So much so that I have often allowed them to take ownership of who I am. I have felt let down, taken advantage of, and abused.  People are people and human is as human does......And as a result of my own human nature I continually allow things, and people, to rent space in my head.

God is God and He is faithful.  And His ways are higher then mine.  The more I pray, the more I sit at His feet,and the more I seek His face, the more I begin desire to be like Him. Yes, to be covered in His dust.  I need to follow in His foot steps and be completely covered in the dust from the path He is leading.  In order to prepare for the journey ahead I need a few things. An understanding of the truth, a willingness to obey, and a desire to seek.

How do we even begin to grasp an understanding of truth? In a world full of deception and lies it is often difficult to discern between a lie and the truth. It is human nature to want to look good. Even our leaders show that very human nature. They slander their opponent. Looking in every crack and crevice to find a flaw that they can build on to make the other candidate look horrible and not worthy of the vote. All this so that they can take the focus off of their own hidden flaws. Jesus never said magnify your neighbors flaws. He reminded us that we need to take the plank from our own eye first.  The truth is that our hearts aren't always in the right place.  More often than not we do things for selfish gain.  Even making the decision to be a follower,these days, has become for our own selfish gain.  We deceive ourselves into thinking that it is okay to continue in our sin because we are "sinners saved by grace".  Ouch.  And we hang our hat on "our deeds are like filthy rags" and lay down and do nothing because we got the "free express pass ticket" on the "gravy train".  So, instead of having the "I deserve salvation" attitude, we need to seek the truth.  And the truth is that we need to have the attitude of a servant. To follow the lead of Christ, who was and is, the greatest model of a servant to ever walk these dusty roads.  God put on flesh and came to serve up a huge plate of everlasting life.  We should savor each bite.  Allowing eash tasty morsel to nourish us and give us the strength to carry out our mission.  Let's humble our dusty selves and be a good student.  When following in the steps of the greatest servant and Rabbi of all time we will then begin to see and understand real truth.

As a student, covered in His dust, we are called to be obedient.  Being obedient isn't always easy.  Especially when you live in a world that tells you it's okay to put yourself first. God tells us that we should do unto others in the same manner we would have them do unto us.  Think about that.  Now here is a good WWJD scenario.  Your "neighbor", who has pretty much neglected you for years, comes to your door.  They need to borrow your brand new car.  Their car won't start and they have a very important job interview.  And they need to leave immediately.  You have a split second to make the decision.  What is your answer?  I can tell you that my split second answer would probably be, "What are you out of your tree?" But wait, I am not looking very dusty now, am I? WWJD......Let's flip the situation.  Remember that plank in your own eye?  What if the "shoe was on the other foot"?  And the interview was your deal and you needed a car.  You know that if your neighbor allowed you to borrow their car you would feel like you were just given the greatest blessing of the day.  I know this is a really big ticket item.  But what about the little things.  Your phone, the computer, the lawn mower, a cup of sugar.  What is that possession that God is asking you to "lend" to your "neighbor".  How dusty are you going to get in your obedience?  God's grace is new and overflowing every morning.  He lovingly gives us a fresh fill every single day. And it is overflowing for a reason.  Be obedient and share His grace.  Be that biggest blessing in your "neighbor's" day.

God makes it easy for us to find Him. We just need to have a willingness to seek.   I remember as a child playing hide and go seek. The whole neighborhood full of kids would get involved in the game.  It was always exciting being the hider and the seeker.  I remember burying myself deep in the depths of the closet and hearing the sound of the seeker's footsteps.  I could sense their presence right outside the door.  And, sometimes I would move slightly because I had a desire to be found.  Usually, it would be because I had an admiration for the seeker.  But most of the time I would hold my breath in hopes of not being the first to be located.  I also loved being the seeker.  I would go on the hunt.  Looking for everyone.  It was exciting.  Just to find the prize under the bed, in a tree or in a cabinet. When we begin to seek God's word and all His treasures we should have that same excitement in our hearts. The prize of a life filled with an abundance of grace and forgiveness.  To never fear a lie.  To know that the dust that is covering you is His everlasting love.   Imagine how exciting each minute of the day could be if we made the decision to be the seeker of the Lord. If you seek Him you will find Him.

I pray that the power of the Holy Spirit be upon each one of the Rabbi's student's.  As we take these baby step and begin to imitate Jesus' every move.  I pray that we continue to observe You through your most precious word.  And also that those very words,"What Would Jesus Do", be tattooed upon our hearts, minds, and mouth.  I know that I desire to be a straight A student.  And, I know that when I wander off the dusty path, You will hold the line and wait for me.  In my eyes I may only be an average student.  But, You, Lord always see me as a prize.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment