Saturday, March 14, 2015

The Apple Doesn't Fall Far From The Tree.........no matter how far it rolls.


The apple certainly does not fall far from the tree.

I got up this morning and, like most mornings, went to my bible and read scripture, prayed for God's blessings on my family and friends and for His grace to, once again, guide me throughout this day. I came down stairs only to find that my living room had been taken over by 21 year old boys sleeping comfortably in the place I had planned on planting myself for some internet surfing. And now here I sit, chomping on a red delicious, on the stool in my beautiful kitchen.

The first place I chose to surf was blogger.com.  I like to look at the blogs that I follow only to check in for new insights.  Earlier this week I was blessed to see that a very special blogger had posted her first blog since May 3rd, 2012.  I was excited to she what her "Last Hurrah" was all about.  As I read through her beautifully worded blog my heart was leaping for joy.  You see this blogger is my youngest daughter.  An apple that fell from the tree and rolled all the way to Manayunk, Pa. a few months ago.  Initially I was alarmed at the title of her latest blog, "I've Already Failed".  As a mother I see each one of my children as my greatest success stories.  So, I began to read through her post and after the first sentence my concern had dissipated.  Her idea of "failure" was a bucket of popcorn.

There have been many moments throughout my life that I too have felt like a "failure".  I once heard from an old friend that, "promises are made to be broken".  That was a harsh statement.  And I try very hard to not to break promises.  But that hasn't always worked out in my favor. I have made silly promises to God, myself and others.  The promise to eat right, exercise and/or do cardio everyday only to go an entire week without following through.  The promise to get to a game or event even when my work schedule doesn't permit.  And even some bigger promises.  One in particular.  The promise that I would read through the bible before picking up any other book.  One could say, or at least I have found myself stating, I am a failure. However, God doesn't see me that way. In His eyes I am a work in progress.  The apple of his eye. (Deuteronomy 32:10).  Praise God that His promises are true.  And as far back as I can remember He has kept His promise to never leave me or forsake me. No broken promise on his end.

Years ago one of my pastors told me that one day the wisdom that my husband and I planted in each of our children, biological and inherited, would one day shine.  And this morning I got a taste of that while reading my daughter's blog entry. It brought great joy when she, like her mom, quoted scripture.

We have five apples that have grown on our tree. And each one of them has been the "apple of our eyes"  We have protected them, cared for them and given them wisdom and godly advice.  Prayed for them to walk upright and go in the direction that God has paved for them.  And each one of our "apples" has taken a path of their own.  Our youngest, the spartan, is still hanging on to the branch gathering the wisdom and nutrients needed for his future. Our "blogger", the gala,  has rolled away and is currently developing her color in life not to far from home. Another, our pink lady, has planted seeds and now has a tree of her own with two beautiful apple blossoms. And two have rolled a little further than the others. One rolled to the west coast.  She was bruised and not quite ripe when she left.  However, she has developed into quite the honey crisp now that she is closer the the California sun. And our oldest, the adventurous one, floated across the Atlantic where she shines and has grown into a beautiful and well rounded elma.  Each one of them has developed their own character and flavor. As I sit back and observe them in their quest in life I see some of our, my husband's and my own, pulp running through their veins. They have taken some of our good and not so good traits and have intertwined them with other influences to become the beautiful individuals they are today.  I can only praise God for His faithfulness and His promise that the wisdom He graciously bestowed on us, as parents, has not returned void.  It is only by His grace that each one of them has become a fruitful adult.

Sometimes promises are unintentionally broken or made. And often bring us to feel like failures.  I can honestly say, as I sit here at this moment reflecting on the "apples of my eye" that I am not a "failure".  I have five flavorful success stories in the making.   There is a new dawn to each day.  So, to my sweet gala, enjoy the oreo's and have a handful of popcorn......"No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind.  And God is faithful; He will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear.  But when you are tempted He will provide a way out so you can endure it".  And to all of my "apples", I love you and want to say thank you for making our tree one of the best in the grove.

2 comments: