Saturday, June 27, 2015

Wow....Who am I

Image result for WHO AM I CASTING CROWNS

Wow!!  I hope you all had a blessed week and enjoyed the first chapter of "Crazy Love". I don't know about you.  But this past week really made think about my relationship with the one who created me.  I discovered that what I thought was prayer was more like my shallow attempt in getting the desires, and silly wants, of my heart granted.  I had been treating God more like a Genie in a bottle.  He deserves much more than a little rub every once in a while. God is holy, eternal, all-knowing, all-powerful, just and fair.  He is worthy to be praised!!!

My question for you is this, "How would you describe your prayer life?"  If I had to describe my prayer life to you, prior to this past week, I would have to say that it was almost always on my terms.  Instead of being slow to speak and quick to listen I had this habit of being so busy speaking at God.  Every morning I would wake up and rattle off my requests.   And I ended my day pretty much the same way.  I seemed to pride myself on the fact that I prayed for the person I liked the least first every morning and last every day. It was a routine.  Don't get me wrong.  I believe God loves when we lay our burdens at His feet.  He tells us in scripture to cast of of our care upon Him.  But He also tells us that He doesn't want us to just pray repetitive and empty prayers.

Over the course of this week I found myself reading Ecclesiastes 5: 1-2. "Guard your steps when you go to the house of God. Go near to listen rather than to offer the sacrifice of fools, who do not know that they do wrong.  Do not be quick with your mouth, do not be hasty in your heart to utter anything before God.  God is in heaven and you are on earth, so let your words be few." I found myself reflecting on Gods glory instead of speaking at Him.  Wow, who am I?  I am just a speck on an speck on a speck. He knows every intricate detail about me. And  yet He still loves and seeks me every day.  He knows my requests even before I come to His feet. Solomon's words made me stop and realize that praying isn't something to take lightly.  It is a privilege.

"Guard your steps when you go to the house of God."  When we come before the Lord we are on holy ground.  We are coming into the presence of the Holy One. The great I Am.

"Go near to listen rather than to offer the sacrifice of fools, who do not know that they do wrong."  Have you ever said, "Lord if you make this happen I will do this for you."  The sacrifice of a fool.  I am guilty as charged. I remember when my kids were young and I would be driving them to school.  There was this one light that seemed to take forever.  We would be getting close and I would pray, out loud, "Father, God, please allow this light to stay green so that we can get through it."  One of those trips to school my son reminded me that we are not supposed to tell God what to do. I was a fool that did not know that I was doing wrong.

"Do not be quick with your mouth, do not be hasty in your heart to utter anything before God.  God is in heaven and you are on earth, so let your words be few." I am a woman.  I am pretty sure I have been talking since birth.  I enjoy talking.  I tend to talk a lot.  I can be quite the wordy one.  But God deserves my silence.  He truly wants me to be in awe of His glory.  To speak less and to bask in His grace and presence.

Remember last week when I asked you what you thought your first words would be if you were face to face with God?  What would you say?  Would you be able to speak?  After reading Isaiah's and John's accounts of being face to face with God I am pretty sure I wouldn't be able to speak.  I was overwhelmed.  I actually had to read both accounts multiple times.  If you haven't taken the time to read them I encourage you to read Revelation 4 right now .  When you are reading this passage try to imagine you are standing in John's shoe.  Close your eyes and try to take it all in.  I don't think I will ever look at a God the same way ever again.  I have been reflecting on this throughout the day when I go before God.  God is the creator of the stars that we gaze upon, the oceans that only come as far as He orchestrates.  He has hand crafted every aspect of the universe we dwell in.  This is the God we come before each time we pray. I know that I need to focus every moment on this awesome privilege

As we head into the next chapter I want you to think about how you make an impact on the world around you.  What does being a christian mean to you? What prevents you from doing great things that can glorify God? Make a list of the things you find that distract you this week (good and bad).  Read James 4: 13-17 and meditate on that passage for a while.  What are you being called to do?

Image result for WHO AM I CASTING CROWNS

I pray that moving forward we will sit and wait to hear God speak first. And that we consider that we are in the presence of the the Holy one and stand in His glory.  And that we are cognizant of how praying is a beautiful privilege.  Take some time to cast crowns and sing Holy, Holy, Holy is the Lord God almighty.  He alone is worthy of our praise.  Have a blessed week.

Who am I, that the Lord of all the earth Would care to know my name,
Would care to feel my hurt?
Who am I, that the Bright and Morning Star Would choose to light the way
For my ever wandering heart?

Not because of who I am But because of what You've done.
Not because of what I've done But because of who You are.

I am a flower quickly fading, Here today and gone tomorrow.
A wave tossed in the ocean. A vapor in the wind.
Still You hear me when I'm calling. Lord, You catch me when I'm falling.
And You've told me who I am. I am Yours, I am Yours.

Who am I, that the eyes that see my sin Would look on me with love and watch me rise again?
Who am I, that the voice that calmed the sea Would call out through the rain
And calm the storm in me?

Not because of who I am But because of what You've done.
Not because of what I've done But because of who You are.

I am a flower quickly fading, Here today and gone tomorrow.
A wave tossed in the ocean. A vapor in the wind.
Still You hear me when I'm calling.
Lord, You catch me when I'm falling.
And You've told me who I am.
I am Yours.

Not because of who I am But because of what You've done.
Not because of what I've done But because of who You are.

I am a flower quickly fading, Here today and gone tomorrow.
A wave tossed in the ocean. A vapor in the wind.
Still You hear me when I'm calling.
Lord, You catch me when I'm falling.
And You've told me who I am.
I am Yours, I am Yours, I am Yours.

Whom shall I fear? Whom shall I fear?
'Cause I am Yours, I am Yours
  ~Casting Crowns

No comments:

Post a Comment