Saturday, August 1, 2015

Before I bring my need I will bring my heart



Hope you are having a blessed day!  And I pray that this past week you found yourself drawing closer to our relentless God.

I don't know about you but I found myself looking deep into my own eyes and my heart.  I questioned myself and my love for God a lot this past week.  I don't want to feel like I have to love God.  Or that I am supposed the do things for Him.  I have to be honest.  I have moments that I really just want to do what I want to do without worrying that I am "in the wrong".  I find myself back peddling to make up for my inadequacies in loving a perfect God.  And sometime I fear that I am really not that in love with Him.  So, I start trying harder.

God doesn't want to see me frustrated and overwhelmed with fear. He doesn't want loving Him to be a chore.  He just wants to love us. A few months ago I had a conversation with my west coast child.  I occasionally ask my children how they are doing with their faith walk.  And are they seeking a relationship with God.  So naturally I asked Kath how she was doing and where she was in her faith walk.  She shared with me that she had gone to church with a friend and she was a little disturbed with a statement that the pastor had made.  She proceeded to tell me that he said, "The more you love God; the more God will love you." To her this was twisted.  And as a result she didn't return to that church.  Unfortunately, that is not what I think the pastor intended on doing.  And maybe his wording was a little off and slightly offensive to Kath.  But the truth of the matter is that when we draw near to God we feel His presence at a deeper level.  God's love for us doesn't deepen.  He loves us the same today, tomorrow and yesterday.  It's how we love that changes.  So when we are loving God at a deeper level we are able to feel His crazy love in return.

In a letter to the Galatians, Paul writes that we were called to be free.  But that our freedom wasn't intended for us to indulge in the things that this world has to offer. Or that we should live in the flesh.  But that this freedom should encourage us to do for one another.  And to humbly serve.  And he reminds us that the entire law can be summed up in one command: "Love your neighbor as yourself." How do love and freedom keep us away from sin?  The deeper our love grows for God through a genuine love, and not from obligation, the more willing we find ourselves to obey God.  And then we have a growing desire to serve our "neighbor" Imagine if you loved your neighbor as much as you loved you. I believe a mighty change would occur. Amazing love would certainly have a domino effect.

So, how do we begin to distinguish serving God out of love as opposed to serving out of obligation. As a young child I was often told that I need to do this and I need to do that.  And when I asked, "why?'" the answer was normally, "Because I said so!".  Well, God doesn't want us to love Him out of obligation.  Being a Christian doesn't mean we are obligated to follow a bunch of rules and regulations.  At least it shouldn't be that way.  These "rules and regulations" should be more like guidelines.  You know those basic instructions before leaving earth. As an adult and a parent I now see why my parents gave me the "because I said so".  They weren't trying to be dictators.  They just wanted me to lead a life that was good for me.  And in the process I learned to do the right thing.  And if my parents, and me now, know how to give good instruction and gifts to our children, how much more will our Heavenly Father give us! (Matthew 7:11)  He wants us to love Him because He first loved us.  He is so crazy in love with us that He waits for us to fall in love with Him.  He lavishes us with treasures.  Most of them we are too selfish to see.  And He just loves our expression when we find delight in His creation.

Over this past week I reflected on a question I read.  Would I be able to exist in a Heaven without Christ? Initially me answer was "NO Way!!".  And each morning, as I reflected on that question, my answer changed.  I found myself realizing that I often go a whole day without Him in it.  And with that being said I became honest with myself.  And the truth be told,  sadly I could see myself existing in a heaven without Christ.  Crazy because He is the only reason we gained direct entry.  I know that He needs to be more prevalent in my life.  And that I cannot exist without His perfect love.

On Friday morning, as I drove to work, I was reflecting once again on that question.  And GOd gave me a beautiful gift.  A song came on the radio and the words, "Before I bring my need I will bring my heart. Before I lift my cares, I will lift my arms.  I wanna know you. I wanna find you.  In every season. In every moment, before I bring my need I will bring my heart. And seek you first I want to keep you first..."  This just penetrated my heart.  And I want and desire this to be evident in my life.  I want to have a love so deeply rooted in Him that it is just my nature to seek, find and put Him first.

It's time to stop talking about loving God and start spending time with Him.  I encourage you to seek Him with your whole heart this week.  Be honest with Him.  And if a loving relationship is what you desire you need to give it your all.  Ask Him to give you a heart to love Him greater.



First~Lauren Daigle

Before I bring my need I will bring my heart. Before I lift my cares, I will lift my arms. 
I wanna know You. I wanna find You. In every season. In every moment. Before I bring my need
I will bring my heart. And seek You First. I want to seek You. I want to seek You First. I want to keep You. I want to keep You First.  More than anything I want, I want You First

Before I speak a word Let me hear Your voice. And in the midst of pain Let me feel Your joy.
I wanna know You. I wanna find You In every season, In every moment, Before I speak a word
I will bring my heart And seek You First. I want to seek You. I want to seek You First. I want to keep You. I want to keep You First. More than anything I want, I want You First

You are my treasure and my reward. Let nothing ever come before. You are my treasure and my reward. Let nothing ever come before I seek You First. First I want to seek You I want to seek You
First I want to keep You. I want to keep You First. More than anything I want, I want You First. First



No comments:

Post a Comment