Thursday, April 14, 2011

Sticks, stones and words........

The past few days I have had that childhood verse, " sticks and stones may break my bones.  But names can never hurt me.", in my head.  I began each day praying that God would give me a clearer picture as to why He placed this on my heart.

I thought back to when I was a child.  I fell and got hurt all the time.  I think the nurses at the hospital were expecting me on a regular basis.  I have many scars from stitches and deep cuts and scrapes.  But the funny thing is I don't recall the pain.  Later in life I gave birth, had a few operations, and other injuries.  And, again, I don't recall the pain.

Broken bones and cuts eventually get better.  There may be a scar or a crooked bone.  And then, God willing,  they heal.  And most times we forget the pain that the injury my have caused.  But, when words penetrate our heart, OUCH!!  I still to this day carry in my heart the pain of words.  Words can really crush your spirit.  And when you are feeling really low they hit you like a ton of bricks.  I have been told I was stupid, ugly, and other harsh things.  And the crazy thing is there are times I actually believe it.  When life is really difficult.  And I begin to look at making a change, the enemy comes in and whispers all those harsh words into my head.  And then I begin to feel worthless.  And then I feel like I am a failure in the eyes of everyone.  The tension grows deep inside.

Psalm 19:14 May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.

God is faithful.  And in the words of a very wise man (my Dad), "God doesn't make junk." So, I pray that the Lord restores my heart.  And that He allows me to see myself as He sees me.  And this isn't easy for a sinner like me.  I know how bad it hurts when people use harsh words to communicate their feelings.  I am guilty of this myself. So, if you are reading this and have been victimized by my poor communication skills.  I am truly sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment