Saturday, May 30, 2015

Ahh the smell of fresh brewing coffee




Ahh the smell of fresh brewing coffee! The aroma has a way of beckoning me to the kitchen.

 As I sit here this morning sipping on my fresh brewed cup of java I began to compared coffee to my own faith. Each morning I grab a new K-cup or a fresh filter, depending on where I am at coffee time, and select a size or measure out the grounds.  I grab fresh water and a clean mug and begin the brewing process. Out pours a cup of deliciousness.  Let me back track on this for a moment.  Let's go back to the selection process.  The K-cup and the beans (grounds) are fresh every time I make my coffee. I don't save the K-cup from Monday and use it throughout the week. I don't save the grounds for the next time when I make a whole pot on the weekend.  I use fresh grounds or a new K-cup every time.  Shouldn't my faith be the same?  Shouldn't I have fresh brewed faith each morning?

Most mornings I wake up ready to encounter the blessings of the day.  My faith pretty strong.  And I know that God is in control.  As I pray and put on my armor for the day I ask God the fill me with His grace. One of the promises I hold fast to is that God's graces are new every morning. "The stead fast love of the LORD never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning;  great is your faithfulness." ~ Lamentations 3:22-23.  HIS graces are NEW every morning.  Yep no recycled grounds here.  A fresh brewed cup of His Amazing grace.

However, there are many mornings, the cup that I hand him to pour His grace into isn't always fresh.  I often lack the faith that I am worthy of that fresh cup of daily grace. So, I hand Him my unclean cup with traces of my backwash from yesterday.   How can I, a sinner, be worthy to get served a fresh brewed cup of grace?  I am one of the biggest sinners I know.  My heart isn't always in the right place. And yet He take that dirty cup, graciously cleans it, and still chooses to pour me some fresh brewed grace. And with each cup I continue to question my faithfulness to Him.  Do I alter the taste of His grace by adding unhealthy ingredients to the cup?  Do I let that cup sit and get stale?  How much did I pour down the drain?  How can He have a "stead fast" love for me?  What did I do to deserve this?  When I ask for the check I think to myself, "I don't have enough cash in the bank, let alone my wallet, to pay for the unlimited supply that has already been poured and consumed." And, once again He pours me another cup.  And whispers, "It's on the house. Your tab has been paid." Great is His faithfulness.

My prayer for this day is that my eyes are open wide.  And that I am awake and alert.  I pray that I become more faithful to Him and that I stop adding unnecessary ingredients to His, already perfect, cup of Amazing grace. I pray that as the day turns into night that I am able to reflect on His steadfast love.  And that as my cup overflows with grace that I will delight in a fresh filled faith.



No comments:

Post a Comment